A majority of Palmdale Physical Therapist will tell you that movement and the ability to be mobile is a drastic benefit to not only our physical health and well-being, but our emotional and mental as well.
It is a sensation many have claimed to experience after taking a daily run, which has actually be scientifically proven by advances in neuroscience to be associated with the release of endorphins in the brain one experiences at the time of running.
In addition, Endorphins often induce mood change and a feeling of euphoria, joy or happiness, so it is no wonder that doing something as easy as taking a daily run makes us feel so much better. Not only does it make us happier people, it is an incredible outlet for routine exercise.
What, exactly, does physical therapy do that makes it a medicine of movement?
A handful of Palmdale Physical Therapist will tell you that physical therapy is a medicine of movement which can be used to aid individuals of all ages return to their normal or prior level of functioning and movement.
Here are ten ways physical therapy can benefit your health and help improve your overall quality of life. We will briefly go over them below.
- Reduce or eliminate pain. The hands-on treatment that physical therapy is comprised of aids to not only relieve pain but also bring back muscle and joint function. This therapy is an exceptional way to assist in lowering back pain and can also prevent pain from it returning. An example of these treatments are ultrasound and electrical stimulation.
- Avoid surgery. Physical therapy helps you avoid surgery because it helps get rid of pain and assist you in healing from an injury. Pre-surgical physical therapy is also highly beneficial as it strengthens your body in preparation for surgery, which will help you recover at a quicker rate after surgery.
- Improve your mobility. Palmdale Physical Therapist say that through the use of stretching and strengthening exercises, physical therapy can help introduce more motion and mobility back into your life. It is an effective tool to treat symptoms of Vertigo, dizziness, and imbalance, and is often used to help those that have trouble standing, walking, or moving. Physical therapists can also fit people for devices such as wheelchairs, walkers, and canes, and help educate them on how to use them.
- Recover from a stroke. It is common to lose some degree of function and movement after experiencing a stroke. Physical therapy can be used to aid in bettering weakened parts of the body and also improve mobility, as described above.
- Recover from or prevent a sports injury. Physical therapists, as movement experts, are well aware of the risk that come with playing a sport and the usual injuries that can come as a result of those sports. This generally means that they are more than equipped to provide you with a personalized plan of care and exercises that are appropriate for recovery after a sports injury or preventing that injury before it happens.
It is no wonder why so many individuals utilize it to help improve not only their mobility and independence, but their complete physical, mental, and emotional quality of life.
Ultimately, physical therapy is a tool of motion that aims towards getting you back to your normal self, doing the things you used to be able to do without hesitation or uncertainty. It is a personalized plan of care with a treatment of exercises meant to improve your quality of life.